Sugarcones and flying mushrooms
Yesterday I spent all day doing things I normally did on several weekends when I still lived here. But because I only had a few hours back here in Bernsbach, and because it was my first time back in a while, I figured I would do them all at once! So I ate all my favorite foods my mom had made for me (what a chore! ;) - Plaumenkuchen, Kassler & Sauerkraut, Rouladen & Rotkraut, self-made jam! - I was so spoilt!!!)
Then I drove around a bit, chatted with my grandparents (with them telling me stories from when my mom was little - I wished I had had a tape recorder), met with my aunt and cousin and looked at children with their "Zuckertüten" who were celebrating their "Schulanfang" in the school near our house. It is tradition for first graders in Germany to have a family celebration before they start school on Monday and they get a big paper cone filled with candy and toys.
As you can see, this tradition has existed for centuries. We also have had single sex marriages for a long time now... ;)Finally - another tradition, at least here in the Erzgebirge, where lots of people are unemployed and have time to do that - I went looking for "Schwamme" (that's in our "erzgebirgisch" dialect, literally "sponges" due to their nature of soaking up water, meaning "mushrooms") with my grandparents!
Supposedly, lots of "Steinpilze" had come out in the last few days, but lots of people knew that, so all the edible (sp?) ones close to the paths (which is where we had to stay because my grandpa is not so good on foot anymore) were gone. I think this mushroom-rush must have been related to the photograph of a "Pilzberater" with about 100 good mushrooms printed in the newspaper the other day... :)
Anyways, I found a few good ones which I got to eat in a cooked state later that night (for all the others, they were "too heavy" before going to bed...), but the interesting thing is this: there were a ton of so-called "Fliegenpilze" standing around in the forrest! (They are the kind that is supposed to bring luck, like little pigs and four-leaf glovers.) In my whole life have I not seen that many!! :) They are poisonous, but soo PRETTY!
I took this picture with my phone, that's why it is a bit blurry. It's a whole Fliegenpilzkolonie!!!

Here is how they look when they're "perfectly" looking:

Now I just wonder: are they called like that because of flys that might sit on them, or because of their hallucinatory effects when you eat them? And: does this mean, I will have lots of luck in the future?

5 Comments:
what do you mean with "single sex marriages"????
i love those mushrooms, but i would not eat them because they are too beautiful!!! so how was everything, the house, the leaving SA forever, the last boxes' shipping??
Hallo Conny, welch ein Zufall. Ich war leztes Wochenende auch in de Schwamme. Mein Schwammefleckl kennt anscheinend keiner außer mir, sodass die Ausbeute ganz ordentlich war.
Übrigens kann man Fliegenpilze meines Wissens auch essen, wenn man sie vor dem Braten kocht. Probiert habe ich es noch nicht. Vielleicht zum Glück. ;-) Kristin
Zum Schulanfang fällt mir gerade auch noch was ein. Letzte Woche fanden hier in Dresden auch Schulanfangsfeiern statt. Eine davon hier an der Uni. Die kleinen Wichte bekamen ihre Zuckertüten im Audimax. Ist bestimmt ein tolles Gefühl, wenn man vor der Grundschule schon mal die Uni besucht hat. Quasi um zu gucken, ob sich die ganze Anstrengung auch lohnen wird. Viele Grüße, Kristin
Kristin- meinst du, dass der Uni-Besuch die Kleinen wirklich motiviert hat? Habt ihr nicht so gruselige Wandbemalungen in dem Gebäude? ;) - Vielleicht kannst du ja Nate und mich übernächstes Wochenende mal mit in deine Schwamme nehmen, wenn du deinen geheimen Platz preiszugeben bereit bist, heißt das natürlich... Dann können wir das Fliegepilzeessen auch mal ausprobieren ;)
Maitxa - all boxes are sent, of course, and now we're waiting and wondering, how many of them will make it. I already had to go to the customs office once to bail out Nate's computer :) - Leaving S.A. forever was not so bad... the people we cared most about will probably move back to Holland soon, and then we can hang out with them again! All we need then is you guys moving (back) here! :) - You don't know what single sex marriages are? Just look at the photo... these guys were very progressive! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home