Monday, June 12, 2006

Suffering through the US game with three other Germans

Ok then, the US lost their first game. And I felt a bit silly wearing their jersey. But hey, at least it was clean. (I am getting to a point on our trip where finding one of these rare items is a happy moment... :) )

But watching the game turned out to be rather entertaining and educative because I got to talk to three of my "Landsmänner" - Jörg, Frank und Christian. We talked about US soccer, German football and basketball, Dirk Nowitzki (who is quite a big star here), and finally (you can't avoid this even with the most unknown strangers in Germany) - politics. Christian and Jörg actually got engaged in a rather heated debate about US policy in Iraq. I tried to stay out of it and stuck with pointing out that "the Americans" did not "all" vote for Bush.
Their frustration with the German government seemed to be quite extensive as well... but which German is ever really happy? (Other than me, of course ;) ) - Even the students at the uni here are still protesting : "Gegen Rassismus, Sexismus, Antisemitismus - für freie Bildung" - what exactly was going on there before they wrote that sign, I wonder...? I always thought that German universities are very liberal institutions; and I wasn't aware that free education was prevented. I sometimes feel like German students (and non-students, for that matter) are overly political; but perhaps I just turned into an (a)pathetic opportunist.

Anyways, for Nates writings and my photos, go to his blog and my album (see links on right side).

2 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Blogger Maitxa said...

Since Arena is only concerned with beating the Mexican team, my only concern is that the US lose everything they can. I am happy they lost. Sorry, I had to say it. I want TOGO to win the CUP!!!

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Conny said...

Yes, go TOGO! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home